Sunday, March 18, 2012

Recipe Round-up

I used to work at a public library and had access to many cooking magazines and cookbooks.  Through the years I have acquired many copies of recipes to try.  Now that I am home more, I've started going through them and finally giving them a try.  Of course there are some that I wonder what I was hungry for when I copied them and I've thrown away, so my piles are dwindling down some.  As I try them I get a 'rating' from the DH and DD to decide whether to keep the recipe or not.  That rating is either an 'It's okay" or a crinkled up nose, which means 'don't fix that again'.

Last week I tried this slow cooker recipe and it turned out really well.  Expecially since the Nascar race was on and I didn't have to miss a whole lot of it when it came time for supper!

Slow-Cooker Steak

Appx. 3 potatoes, peeled & quartered
4-oz pkg. baby carrots
2 stalks diced celery
Chopped onion ( I only used about 1 Tbs., original called for 1 whole)
6 beef round steaks (I used really thin slices)
12-oz jar beef gravy
10-3/4 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1/8 tsp. curry powder
1/8 tsp. garlic salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Brown the round steaks in 1 Tbs. vegetable oil.  Meanwhile combine the vegetables and place in a slow cooker.  Arrange the steaks on top.  Mix the remaining ingredients together; pour over steaks, stirring to coat both the vegetables and the steaks.  Heat on low setting for 6-8 hours.   Serves 6.

Enjoy!

No comments: