Sunday, September 30, 2012

Autumn



Autumn has arrived and harvest is in full swing.  With this summer's drought conditions yields certainly aren't very high for the corn that has been picked.  Soybeans may fair a little bit better, but still well below an average year.  Crop insurance may be expensive, but thank goodness for it!

I don't know if it's because I fell in love with a farmer, but Fall is my favorite time of the year.  I love full moon, October nights riding in the combine with my hubby through the cornfields.  I may not do it as much as I did when we were first married, but that occasional 'date night' during harvest is needed time together.   I also now reflect on when our daughter was younger and would ride with her daddy for hours in the combine, occasionally even content enough to fall asleep.

My biggest challenge during this time is what to fix for meals to take to the field.  Hubby usually wants just a sandwich and drink but I always throw in chips and a snack.  He's kind of picky, so I basically just have to alternate between hamburgers, ham and sausage sandwiches.  Occasionally I can throw in hotdog, bologna, sub or even a pizza, but don't ever attempt a tuna or chicken salad sandwich.  I think he looks forward to not only getting harvest done before any winter weather comes in, but also looking forward to having a good sit-down hearty steak and potato meal. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love that tractor picture! :)