Sunday, November 4, 2012

Our Dixie Chick





Last Monday our 5 year old cat's back legs all of a sudden seemed to become paralyzed.  They were sticking straight out and she was dragging herself across the floor with her front paws. I took her to the vet, they took x-rays but they couldn't see anything that could have caused that. This office just doing general practice did give me options of taking Dixie to other facilities where they can do better tests and possible surgery, but they were over an hour away and starting at $1600.00.   I opted to see what my local vet could do.  After 3 days, there was some improvement in one leg, but she couldn't control her bodily functions.  Two more days later, on a Saturday, we did finally bring her home because she did use her litter box in her cage. 
This is going to be quite an experience because Dixie loves looking out the windows.  We have some kind of perch at just about every window in the house, and now she won't be able to get up to them.
We also have a 2 story house so we need to shut the doors to the upstairs and the basement.  Unfortunately, the litter box has always been in the basement, so I bought a smaller one to use upstairs and that would fit in her little pop-up 'cage' we are going to use at night and when we leave the house.  One of the major concerns is that she doesn't get sores or rug burns from dragging herself around.
Oh, I forgot to mention that we also have another cat in the house, Lucy, that we have to open the door for her to the basement and make sure she doesn't pounce on Dixie.
Well, we got through our first night okay, and she didn't seem to mind the 'cage', sleeping downstairs by herself.   The real test will be Monday morning when  normal routines start.  I am home most of the time, with my part-time job, but Tuesday I will be working the election all day and I'm afraid Miss Dixie is not going to like being confined all day while Lucy roams around her.

No comments: